Descendants of William R. Runyan
Chapter 2.6 of Part II, Descendants of John Harris
By Garda M. Hodgson
CHILDREN OF WILLIAM R. RUNYAN AND LEANNA LIVELY
(Child #6 of Sarah Harris and Jeremiah Runyan)
William R. Runyan4 (Sarah Harris3,
John2, Isaac1) was either born in about 1799 or about 1809 in Rutherford (now Cleveland) County, North Carolina. Jeremiah and Sarah (Harris) Runyan had a son born before the 1800 census was taken and one who was in the "10 to 16" age bracket in 1820. There were two sons who could possibly fit in these age brackets, William R. and John Runyan. It is uncertain which is the older and which is the younger.
William R. Runyan made a deed on August 15, 1843 in which he was "of Cleveland County, North Carolina." Then on June 9, 1852, he was "of the state of Georgia" when he sold land to his brother, James Runyan. According to a great granddaughter, he married Leanna Lively and they had three children, then he died in about 1848. His widow then married Harmon Jenkins. They were living in Walker County, Georgia in 1850. Shortly after this, they moved to St. Clair County, Alabama, and lived in the Slasham community. In 1860, they were in Township 14-15, and their post office was Ashville, St. Clair County, Alabama.
The great granddaughter, Pearl Runyans, (the family spelled the name with a final "s" added) said there were two girls and a boy who were children of William R. Runyan. The boy's name was Reuben. One of the girls was named Sarah, but she couldn't remember the other girl's name. Both girls went to Texas. However, only two children surnamed Runyan were included on the Walker County, Georgia 1850 census record. They were Sarah Runyans, age three, and Reuben W. Runyans, age one year.
According to the census record, Leanna's second husband, Harmon Jenkins, had a daughter, Roanne, who was the same age as Sarah. Perhaps she is the other "daughter" the great granddaughter was talking about. (?)
- Sarah RUNYAN b 1847 (3-1850), GA; went to Texas
- + Reuben W. RUNYAN
B 1849 (1-1850); m Bethena DAVIDSON
CHILDREN OF REUBEN W. RUNYAN AND BETHENA DAVIDSON
(Child #2 of William R. Runyan and Leanna Lively)
Reuben W. Runyan5 (Wm. R4., Sarah Harris3, John2, Isaac1) was born in Georgia in 1849; he was one year old when the 1850 census of Walker County, Georgia was taken. He married Bethena Davidson. She was born in Alabama in 1856; she was age 24 when the St. Clair County, Alabama 1880 Census was taken. "They lived in the Slasham community for a while then moved across a small mountain into Beaver Valley, about four or five miles from Ashville, St. Clair County, Alabama."
- + John Wesley RUNYANS
b 30 Sep 1874; m Errelvious Caroline MOORE
- Leanna RUNYANS b 1876 (4-1880), St. Clair Co., AL
- Viola RUNYANS b 1878 (2-1880), St. Clair Co., AL
- Sarah RUNYANS b 1880 (age 3mo-1880), St. Clair Co., AL
CHILDREN OF JOHN W. RUNYANS AND ERRELVIOUS C. MOORE
(Child #1 of Reuben W. Runyan and Bethena Davidson)
John Wesley Runyans5 (Reuben W5.,
Wm. R4., Sarah Harris3, John2,
Isaac1) was born September 30, 1874 in St. Clair
County, Alabama, and died March 1, 1957. He married Errelvious Caroline
Moore. She died in March 1945. They were buried in Ashville
Cemetery, Ashville, St. Clair County, Alabama. "They lived in Slasham,
moving to Beaver Valley in 1903 - still in St. Clair County." Their
oldest daughter, Pearl Runyans (now deceased), is the one who
corresponded with Gordon Runion in 1983.
# # #
- Pearl RUNYANS b 15 Oct 1899, St. Clair Co., AL; she "taught school for 37 years"
- Roston Elbert RUNYANS b 5 Jul 1901, St. Clair Co., AL; d Nov 1945, bur Ashville Cem., St. Clair Co, IL; m Tressie Maude PEARSON; "They had two girls Sue and Ellen"
- Effie Ophelia RUNYANS b 13 Feb 1904, St. Clair Co., AL; d Mar 1963; "She married had four girls and two boys; she moved to California in 1947"
- John Hubert RUNYANS b 26 Dec 1905, St. Clair Co., AL; d 20 Sep 1979, bur Mt. Zion Cem., Shoal Creek Valley; m Della Mae WATSON; "They had three boys and one girl"
- Alton Nicholas RUNYANS b 30 Sep 1907, St. Clair Co., AL; m Virginia MOORE; lived in Ashville; "They have two boys and one girl"
- Aurbon RUNYANS b 30 Aug 1909, St. Clair Co., AL;
d 1977; m Kathryn PHILLIPS; "They had one boy"
- Annie Mae RUNYANS b 20 Apr 1911, St. Clair Co., AL; "She married and had two boys; her husband was killed in an automobile wreck. She later married again; had a boy and a girl"
- Otis Perkins RUNYANS b 6 Nov 1916, St. Clair Co., AL; m "Marie MOORE, a sister to Alton's wife, Virginia MOORE; they had one daughter"
[Webmaster note: direct any correspondence or questions you may have about this document to the webmaster of this site, and we will pass it on to the author. Any responses will be at her sole discretion. Please be sure to state that you are routing your request through the webmaster of this site, so it will be clear when we forward your message.]
To go to another part of the book, click on the navigation bar;
OR use your browser's "Back" button to return to the previous page;
© Copyright Garda Hodgson, May 2006,
All Rights Reserved; USED BY PERMISSION
HTML rendering © Copyright Doug Paulson,
May 2006, All Rights Reserved
Final edits accepted — January 20, 2006
Comments or corrections should be addressed to
[These entries were encoded in July 2007 to discourage hackers. Best way is to just
click on the hotlinked words "the webmaster," which will bring up your email software
and automatically address the note for you. The address you see is actually a 'gif"
image, so you won't be able to cut and paste it into an e-mail; you will have to write
it down or type it into your address book for reference.]